Saturday, January 29, 2011

150 Candles for Kansas!

So my wife asked me today if I thought I'd be around for Kansas' 200th.  Not sure about that one, but my state's birthday was a memorable one weatherwise.  As we arrived home from a dinner for my son-in-law half an hour ago, I noticed that the temperature had dropped thirty degrees from when we had entered the dining establishment.  Wow!  A thirty degree drop in a little over two hours!  Ah, Kansas!

Those of us who are purebreds understand the weather here - it's always about to be the same as it was yesterday and tomorrow it's not likely to be what it is today.  What a fickle strip of territory I live in.  The belt buckle of the Midwest and known mostly by travelers as the part of the trip to simply get through, so they drive it at night!  But those of us who know are glad to be where we are in this state.  Kansas is just too vast for most folks, so they miss the smaller details that are the beauty of Kansas.  Happy Birthday, Kansas!  If I happen to be here for your 200th, would you give me another 68 degree day?

1 comment:

  1. In my earlier, mountain-climbing incarnation, I would tackle I-70 after dark, so as to see the sun illuminate the Rockies about Limon, CO. However, I've come to enjoy driving across your state, especially from Wichita to Guymon, OK, which I've done a number of times. Much like pioneers who jettisoned crap on the way West, I find I toss a lot of mental baggage out the door. My apologies to the Kansas Highway Department.

    ReplyDelete