Thursday, January 13, 2011

In The Company of Scholars

Tonight was our bi-annual "mega" meeting of all English faculty at our school.  We have a loyal, decent core of instructors who venture out each semester to listen to a redundant set of messages I deliver, mixed with a bit of variety.  I fret a bit each semester wondering how to make the meeting meaningful, and, above all, useful, so instructors can walk into the semester feeling somewhat rejuvenated about what they do. 

Last Fall we had the author of one of our common texts come and speak to us.  It was, at the time, one of our best meetings.  People were engaged with the author, the material was timely and interesting, there were great questions and discussion about curriculum and pedagogy...people left me comments for a week about how uplifting the meeting was. 

This evening was my time to feel that the elements all came together and synthesized into a truly meaningful event.  No author this time; just each other.  Peers took the lead; material clicked with the audience.  I didn't feel like I needed to lead anything; it was a time to listen and absorb. 

I want you to know this.  I work with very great, talented people.  I often wonder how I'm in the position I am because there is a brilliance that shines from these teachers...I hope I'm still emitting.

Great job folks!  I am humbled and honored to be in your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment