Monday, January 24, 2011

Warm Enough For a Run?

...well, at first I thought so.  It's been a couple of weeks since I've been able to get out and run with Chloe on our lake path.  I'm just not the fan of cold weather like I used to be.  I used to camp in this weather!  In 1978, three of us camped over night at our favorite place, the "gulch" as we used to call it, when the wind chill reached -20 degrees!  We were safe in a wind break and had goose down bags, but it was chilly! 

The weather now just makes me ache (probably due to my younger escapades!), and I don't have much fun when the wind's blowing in my face.  Chloe wouldn't care how cold it is; her coat's so thick right now that I comb her at least once a week. 

So we went out this afternoon to find our form.  The thermometer read 45 degrees, the wind wasn't too strong, and there was a hint of sun through hazy clouds.  What moisture we had had wasn't apparent; the road way was dry, and we set out at our usual pace.  I turned on my Ipod and began to find a rhythm to my stride with my "Twenty Minute Run" playlist - some Radiohead, an upbeat Dave Matthews song, and I was just feeling good when RATM's "Sleep Now In The Fire" began and we'd reached our turnaround point...uh, then we turned into the wind.  Yikes!  What had happened?  Where were these gusts coming from?  And where were all of the nooks and crannies in my clothing into which the wind was sneaking coldly?

I looked at Chloe and told her we were walking it in.  I pulled my hood up tightly around my face, lowered my head while the wind dampened the music in my head.

1 comment:

  1. A finger to the wind is often a good way to begin a run. Same thing with SCUBA: start out swimming against the current, then float back.

    ReplyDelete