Thursday, January 20, 2011

In a Hurrying Light

A full day of work discussing types of arguments - deliberative, forensic, and ceremonial- then off to the bowling alley to watch my daughter role a 503 series as a freshman.  She's picked this game up well.  I don't bowl well, but I like to bowl especially with my wife.  We have fun; it's what sports are for me anymore - fun.  Buy my daughter has a style similar to my youngest son who is an amazing bowler.  I never saw my father bowl, but my mother says my son bowls just like my father.  What a gift.  I see my father as I watch my son. 

Arrive at home and check the progress of the beaver while Chloe, my spaniel, romps in the damp, but still frozen yard.  Fresh chips around the tree, but I believe the cold has kept "Billy," the name I've given the beaver, snuggled in his den somewhere.  He's a smart one that Billy. 

In ten minutes we leave to go watch my oldest son play basketball and Newman University.  He's a senior; I've watched him play basketball since he was in third grade, and I will miss watching this most graceful time of his athletic career.  Each second he's in the game is bliss for me; basketball is such a flowing, graceful sport, and he's very good at what he does. 

My life seems busy, but there are moments when time slows and these images appear that I know I can hold forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment