Thursday, February 3, 2011

Card-Carrying Member

Getting my hair cut by my wife - Having my wife cut my hair has to be the most relaxing experience I enjoy.  It's truly sad that I only need my hair trimmed every three or four weeks because if I could I would have her cut my hair every day.  Now not to sound too creepy, but there's just something very, very soothing about my wife's hands running through my hair...I can literally fall asleep when she's cutting my hair. 

Getting fitted for a suit - Every man should experience being fitted for a suit at least once in his life.  There's too much off-the-shelf, fast-food mentality for buying clothing.  There's little quality, and very few sales "associates" even know how to say hello let alone know their product.  Shoe stores are the worst - just try finding a foot fitting/measuring scale or someone who knows how to use one.  Know your size and how to fit yourself or walk around with sore feet.  Now for clothes there are a few holdouts.  Recently I got a great deal on a couple of suits from a well-known men's clothing retailer, and I visited the store for my fitting.  (Of course, most of their clothing needs to be fitted to the individual; it's nothing like the experience of having a bespoke suit made - something that is on my bucket list.) Being fitted is still an experience that makes one feel as if he's suddenly got the full attention of the "tailor."  The fitting area is intimate; tucked away from the rows of dovetailed ties and Egyptian cotton shirts, the accoutrements are simple:  mirrors, measuring tapes, soap-like slivers of marking chalk, and cuff templates.  It's suddenly you and the tailor; someone who knows exactly how you want the suit to look on you.  Yup, with a few tugs, some pins, the tailor adjusts sleeves on the arms, adjusts the back and legs of the trousers; suddenly the look of your posture changes...you see the suit for the first time.  If I could just get my hair cut...

Getting my AARP card in the mail...sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment