Wednesday, February 23, 2011

New Adventure Surfacing

Tomorrow evening marks the start of my PADI Dive Master training.  I've been looking forward to this for a few months now; the holidays and, well let's get real- cold water! - have made for a difficult schedule for the three of us who will go through the program.  It's a great deal of classroom work, a great deal of swimming, even more training over fundamental diving skills, but, ultimately, a great deal of fun! 

When I started diving, I realized an opportunity for learning a new set of skills, but I also found something that I physically enjoy doing.  Being underwater and neutrally bouyant is a great feeling.  I feel my body and how it reacts to the simple, calm movements that propel me through water that, as I descend, presses against every inch of my suit and mask.  I breathe slowly, equalize my ears, and allow my body to adjust to the pressure. 

I free fall, arms spread, and watch my depth on my computer as I drift down.  I feel the thermocline.  The water temperature drops suddenly as if I'd just fallen through a transparent layer of time.  The water inside my wetsuit warms; my hands feel the cold and the bubbles from my regulator brush coldly by my face.  I notice a bit more water in my mask now and I lift my head, push the top of my mask , and blow a bit of air through my nose clearing it all. 

I've enjoyed just about every type of diving that I've done so far.  I say just about every type because I know when the opportunity comes when I'll get to dive in the ocean, it will take all of my strength to get back into some of the lakes and "low-vis" places I have dived.  When my youngest son certified in open water, we dove in a lake where it was a challenge reading a gauge six inches from my face!  I imagine with that experience I should truly be amazed to dive on a reef which has 100-200 feet of visibility! 

I'm reaching a point also where my diving can start to pay me back.  As a divemaster I can help an instructor train others and make a bit of money for my work.  But the experiences of each dive are a type of compensation for me.  The silent world is a beautiful place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment