Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One For The Boys

I've always been a fan of the underdog.  There's just something about overcoming the Goliath that stands in ones path that's inspiring.  Perhaps it's due to the fact that, while growing up with classes both ahead and behind mine that won most of the time, my friends and I weren't so lucky with coming out ahead.  But we won, eventually; we stayed together as a class, and although we weren't the greatest, we conquered a few giants along the way. 

Tonight I watched my son's basketball team overcome one of the giants that had come to town.  Confident in its 8-0 league record (actually the team is still in a probationary period, but that doesn't mean it doesn't count to the players) the players were unusually more vocal with the pre-game posturing and banter that goes along with competitive athletics.  They had come to "eat" up the home team.  The metaphor, as my son spoke to me of the gibes back and forth in the hallway prior to the game, lost little in my imagination.  I saw Cronus chewing up and swallowing his children - his pride rampant now,  vicious and selfish. 

But pride does consume, and tonight Goliath, like a trapped coyote gnawing its own leg to release itself, became hobbled with self-confidence which had fed upon itself.  The underdogs, in no way unprepared for battle, patiently waited for Goliath's weaknesses to show themselves.  They were, as the adage goes, "in the hunt" throughout the game, and it was only too late that Goliath found himself having to hurry.  In hurrying he made mistakes; that's when the underdogs struck!

So tonight my hat is tipped to the team that finds its way to win - Chip, Keaton, Will, Eric, Justin, Tommy, Tyler, Kyle, Mason, Chris, Luke and Luke!  You're finding a rhythm that's making great time!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration. My fifth grader starts his season tonight and our small school's team is not very good. Only two of the kids have played league ball before.

    I miss my now college-aged daughter's time playing ball when her team won the St. Louis Lutheran School City Championship three years in a row, an unprecedented feat.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete